Saturday, August 19, 2017

Preparation for The Classic French Jacket class

This seems such a long timde ago, but I do want to document it.

In our detailed pre-class notes Susan asked us to bring to class "a fitted muslin/toile".

I have made a couple of jackets using V7975 but my last jacket ended up being a "Miss" as it just felt too large and is currently back in pieces whilst I decide if I can salvage it.

Talking to one of my sewing friends who attended Susan's class in Baltimore, highly recommended Susan's pattern, The Classic French Jacket  as she found it had a nicer line and much less fullness over the bust and less ease in the pattern altogether, so this pattern winged it's way to me.

The pattern envelope only contains 2 pages of pattern tissue, one for sizes 4-14 (bust sizes) and 16-24 (bust sizes). I started with a size 6 (e.g. bust 35") which was closest to my high bust measurement.

However when I checked:
  • my measurements + ease
  • minus the flat pattern measurements 
  • it showed I needed to add quite a bit extra. 
Now most of you will know that I have been using TNT patterns for quite a while now, so starting from scratch took a bit of thinking.

During one of the Craftsy sales I purchased the "Fitting Solo - From Measurement to Mulsin with Linda Lee" class and this showed me a very logical way to make the necessary adjustments to the width.

The following adjustments were made to my pattern pieces:
  1. Neck line gaposis of 1cm
  2. FBA of 2.5 cm
  3. Added 0.4 fromt the waist to 1cm at the hip for each seam
  4. Full Bicep Adjustment of 5.5 cm across the 3 piece sleeve which was very well explained in Fit For Real People on page 172.
  5. The back pattern piece can either be on the fold or seamed.  I chose to seam it as I like the look of the back with the extra seam.
I then made up my jacket toile and headed to Studio Faro where I had booked a Sunday Afternoon Studio Session to work on my own project for some fitting help with Anita.

The following adjustments were then made:

1.  Lowered front neckline by 1cm
2.  Lengthened the sleeves by 1.5cm
3.  Shortened the length by 6cm
4.  Added more width to sleeves - 2cm at Biceps and 1.5cm at my foreaem, with nothing at the wrist
5.  Broadback adjustment of 1cm
6.  Dropped armhole and sleeve arms centre by 1.5cm 
7.  Added 5mm to centre back from neck edge to nothing at the waist.

and here are the pattern pieces ready for my 2nd toile:

Side front and centre front

Centre back and side back
Three piece sleeve
Which was ready for Susan to view on our first day of class, but which I forgot to take a photo of!

More to follow shortly.

4 comments:

Vancouver Barbara said...

It's exciting to read how this project will go.

Nieves De Francesco said...

A lot of work, you would be very proud of your work. I can only admire.

fadanista.com said...

How fabulous to do this course! Your preparations look involved and I'm sure you're going to reap the benefits. I look forward to seeing the final jacket.

Jane M said...

Susan's classes deserve all the pre-work and I am grateful that you still are taking time to blog about the experiences. Thanks so much.