Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Tiny Essentials Tote Bag

In November the Australian Sewing Guild posted that they were going to host their first Sew Along, The Tiny Essentials Tote Bag and I decided to sew along.

Back in 2012 when I did this workshop I purchased the fabric from Ikea, I also purchased the fabric below designed by Cilla Ramnek* 2008 designed for Ikea intending to make another Tote Bag.

However this, some black duck cloth and some green/yellow circles that were in my bag stash just wanted to play along.  


The interfacing was on hand but the 24" Long Pull Zip that I wanted in green or black wasn't and this isn't something that I was going to find locally.   Luckily Alison pointed me in the direction of Zippit and I placed an order for the zips.

Whilst waiting for my zips to arrive I did manage to complete up to Day 2 of the Sew Along

Quilted, handles made and pinned on.
and then when my zippers arrived, it was decision time - green or black?


I ended up choosing the green as the gusset for the bag is black.

Then life got in the way and it has taken me until now to finish this bag.


and here you can see the gusset and zip


I decided to use a lingerie bag for part of the inside of the tote keeping the zip to keep the contents secure and then put covered elastic on the other side to hold chargers etc.


and loaded up to go on holidays, although I'm certain I take more cables than this away!


I learnt quite a few techniques with this sew-along and I also know that my piping needs more work.

Every time I look at this bag it makes me smile, I just love those trees!


* Here is some more information about Cilla Ramnek here.

******************
2015 Stash Out: 16.85 m
2015 Stash In: 18 m

13 comments:

Sue said...

Love your little bag! Thanks for the link to the fabric designer too. Very interesting. I enjoyed the sew-along and hope they hold another one soon. :)

Dilliander said...

That's a gorgeous bag, so practical for all your cables, and I love the quirky whimsical trees, they made me smile too :)

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

Very impressive bag making Sharon.

Rhonda Buss said...

I love it all, the bag and the fabric.

Anonymous said...

Everything about this bag is wonderful. It looks really professional, and I adore that green zip!

JanQ said...

lovely bag - very smart

Sarah Liz said...

What a great little tote for all the paraphanalia we have to cart nowadays. And nicely made to boot. Happy New Year, Sharon.

Carolyn said...

What a lovely little bag! the piping and well, everything, looks perfect to me, so professionally made. Beautiful work, and the print is gorgeous :)

Audrey said...

I love the look of the unique print in this bag. It really does look like a high end designer bag. What a fun addition to your wardrobe.

Beverly said...

What a great little bag! Love the colors & the piping.

Vicki said...

Very cute and has quite a retro vibe.

AllisonC said...

That is very cute and so professional looking, I can see it will come in handy for all kinds of things.

Gail said...

Very practical and well made. Perhaps this could be a workshop for Rhodes?