Sunday, December 20, 2015

Getting to know my Juki

As you saw here I am the proud owner of Juki MO-1000 which has a few more features than my old 4 thread Singer Ultralock 14u 34, so when in2Mode offered the Taming your overlocker workshop I signed up as I thought this would be worthwhile.

It was held over 2 Sundays and by the end of the 2nd week we had a cover for our overlockers, showing all the wrong and correct ways to use it, making it an easy reference guide.

We had 8 squares of fabric with 2 curved end pieces, so on each square a different technique was tried e.g. flat locking, pin tucks, rolled hems.

After all the blocks were completed then 4 where joined together for a front and back and then we were supplied with white cotton and bamboo wadding to complete the cover.


Front

Back

Side without pocket
I was quite impressed with my Juki, when I came to put in the end piece there was 2 layers of bamboo wadding as well as the front and back pieces with their lining to stitch through and she didn't miss a beat.

One things the teacher did realise is that the Juki is quite a bit higher and wider than any of the other overlockers in the course so mine is a bit snug.

There were 6 of us in the workshop a which was a very good size and a diverse group of sewers.


8 comments:

Sarah Liz said...

Most impressive about the layers your Juki can sew through - I find my basic Bernina balks at three layers of knit! I guess you will get a better finish now on all your garments.

Accordion3 said...

I am very interested to hear how you go with the overlocker. My Pfaff 5 thread died a couple of years ago. And I've been lusting after a decent replacement since. Something else that I can totally abuse.. I would love a self-threader but the Babylocks are too far beyond my budget.

How easy is it to alter the tension? Is it easy to switch stitches and needles? Can it do coverstitch? I'm in Melbourne and none of the local dealers sell the Juki. So I can't test one - oh the frustration!

L said...

I've heard good things about Juki sergers and am also interested in hearing your experience as you sew. The course project was a *great* idea. I like that the cover serves both as a protector for the machine and a reminder of its possibilities.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm sure that you and your new serger are going to become the best of friends over the next few years! Congrats!

Lightning McStitch said...

What a great way to have a visual clue to what your machine can do right there when you go to use it.
I'm more than a bit jealous.
Enjoy it.

Dilliander said...

Great idea to have a cover, inspiration and reference all in one! Juki and you will be BBFs going forward:)

Anonymous said...

What a great item to learn from: practical and a learning tool :-)

Sharon said...

Accordian3, a friend of mine purchased hers from http://www.sewingmachinecity.com.au/ they are at Bayswater.