Thursday, March 20, 2014

Interview and March Garment of the Month - completed

Emily, our Stash-busting co-host asked me to share my thoughts about how I go about creating a cohesive wardrobe and you can read all about it on Emily's blog.

Now half of My Garment of the Month has been completed, it is my TNT Self Drafted pencil skirt in the navy wool that I told you about here.

Again there is not much to tell, it is made like all the others

Looks like the fabric is a magnet for Roscoe's fur!

Waistband using twill tape.
This is also a garment for the March Curating Challenge - Wardrobe Evaluation - I definitely need more work attire and this skirt fits the criteria perfectly.

Now to get back to work on the Marfy skirt, it has taken a few backward steps since last Saturday, I had to undo the hand picked zipper and pick stitching along the waist facing as the skirt is too big!!

Seeing I am still working on my SWAP garments, I am not sure if this will be part of the 3rd 3-pac as my coral top will be great with it!

2014 Stash Out: 6.8 m
2014 Stash In: 31.75 m

Monday, March 10, 2014

Make a garment a month - March plans

February didn't see me commit to making a garment for myself, however I did cut out two different types of skirts and plan on making them both this month.

They are both from the same navy wool that my DS and I purchased during a visit to the Fabric Cave for the total sum of $10 for 13 metres.

The first skirt is the Marfy 0757 above, which I am making using the couture techniques provided in the Marfy sew-along.

My second skirt is my TNT Self Drafted Pencil Skirt which I am making like I have made all my other skirts.

I will be very interested to see which skirt I prefer to wear.

2014 Stash Out: 5.2 m
2014 Stash In: 31.75 m

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Coral shirring!

Over at Pattern Review there is a new contest, "New to Me Pattern Company" and thinking about it, I realised that I have a couple of Christine Jonson's patterns and thought I would make up the Shirred Top in a gorgeous coral knit that my DS gifted to me a couple of Christmas's ago.

The reviews of the pattern over at Pattern Review say it is a snug fit and seeing I was inbetween the XS and SM sizes I decided to play it safe and cut out a size SM and did the following pattern adjustments:
  • shortened the lower bodice length by 4cm
  • shortened the short sleeve by 2cm
This pattern is very fabric hungry as the top pieces are on the fold and you cut 2 of them each, so I changed the top back and top front pattern pieces to a single layer, as my knit is 150cm wide and this worked out a lot better.

I basted the front and back together using the 1.5cm seam allowance and tried it on however it was a bit snug so I stitched it permanently together with 6mm seam allowances essentially meaning it is a size MD.

I used my Coverstitch to stitch the neckline edges.

The rest of the pattern went together fairly quickly until I came to the sleeves which gave me a bit of grief, so this is when I did a Full Arm adjustment (Fit for Real People, page 169) of 1.5cm

and cut out another set of sleeves! They do look much better.

My top is still very snug and looks like I need to do a small FBA as well as a gasposis for the back neckline.

I really like how the ruching looks on the side seams, which surprisingly doesn't look like it adds any bulk.

This is quite a comfortable top to wear.

Still making up my mind if it will be another top for my SWAP, however at this stage I'm not 100% certain where it will fit in.

2014 Stash Out: 5.2 m
2014 Stash In: 31.75 m