Thursday, January 2, 2014

Top 5 of 2013 - Part 2


This is the 2nd half of Gillian's Top 5 for 2013, my Reflections, Inspirations and Goals.

Reflections
  1.  I thought that my sewing didn’t produce as many garments this year, 22 in total (2 for DH and 1 knitted), but I’ve just noticed that my goal for 2013 was to sew at least 22 so win!  This included the 2 major projects, The Trench and Chanel Jacket and a lot of my sewing was completed in the first  4 months of the year.
  2. I seem to sign up for countless sew-alongs but have only managed to complete 1 on time and the others, well I will have to settle for being late!
  3.  The same goes for Craftsy classes, I have 7 classes that are a combination of free and paid for and so far I haven’t finished one, although my jeans have been basted for the past 12 months J
  4. I love my sewing as it gives me another focus than my stressful job, and keeps me sane.
  5. I committed to sew from my stash this year,

    I, Sharon of Petite and Sewing, commit to sew 3/4 of all projects in 2013 from Stash.  Fabric purchases will be less than the yardage used during the stash sewing in 2013.

    and I managed to keep to my pledge, 18 of the above garments were from my stash and a total of 32.65m went out and a scary 24.8m came in.

Inspirations

This is so hard to define, I find it in all sorts of places on the internet, the blogs I follow, Stitcher's Guild, Pattern Review and life in general.  

I know that all your comments inspire me to do better with my sewing and I thank you all for that.

Goals
  1. I'm not sure if I should put this here as for the last 2 years I have said I would play with my coverstitch binders and guess what, I still haven't touched them!
  2. Continue to sew from the stash and commit to sewing 3/4 of my projects from the stash and fabric purchases will be less than what I sew!  This could all go out the window if I see any burgundy/aubergine fabric!!
  3. Complete at least one competition either on Stitcher's Guild or Pattern Review.
  4. To spend 20 minutes a day in my sewing room, it is surprising how this time adds up!
  5. I am going to conquer pants!
This next bit isn't part of Gillan's list, but I do like to see at a glance all my projects so here is the collage for 2013.


I've loved reading everyone else's Top 5 and have found some new blogs to follow.

Now back to regular sewing!

11 comments:

Robyn said...

Congratulations on a great 2013 Sharon. The 22 garments you made were all beautifully crafted and I'm sure they will be loved and worn for years to come.

Good luck with your goals for 2014, I think I might share your 20 minute a day idea :)

bluenines said...

Great goals for 2014.I like your goal for 20 minutes a day in your sewing room.It is one I think I am going to try and do, happy sewing

Vicki said...

Sounds like 2013 was pretty good sewing wise. You are right that 20 minutes a day adds up. Problem is you still need to get to that 20 minutes..lol

BeaJay said...

You sure had a lot of great completions for 2013. Please bring out your coverstitch binders and have a play. I would love to know if they work well.

Good luck with the rest of your goals.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

You've had a wonderful sewing year and please the trench and the Chanel jacket should be like 4 sewn pieces each! I look forward to your sewing in 2014!!!

Carolyn said...

Congratulations on a wonderful year Sharon, I've so enjoyed all your creations and how beautifully your wardrobe co-ordinates together; so inspirational! Your trench coat is sensational! Looking forward to seeing your work into 2014 and beyond :)

Sarah Liz said...

What a lovely year of sewing, Sharon. I agree with you, sewing is a wonderful antidote to the stresses of life - so the 20 minutes a day goal is a good idea - I'll be joining you in that:). All your garments are beautiful - the collage is a great idea - and I look forward to seeing your sewing journey during 2014.

Unknown said...


well done Sharon you have done a great job for 2013. You have planned your wardrobe well and executed each item beautifully. I think that you will get many years of wear from each piece and be proud of what you have achieved.

Ronnie

becki-c said...

Your sewing looks fabulous, I especially love all those skirts! It sure looks like you have been busy when you lay them all out like that.
You have set very realistic goals for this year, it sill be fun to watch you blog about your projects and accomplishments.
You have a nice mix of easy and challenging garments there, good balance.

EmSewCrazy said...

What a beautiful year! Congrats on accomplishing your Stashbusting goal! Make sure you head over to Cindy and my blogs and enter the giveaways for all who participated.
I've seen you around and just now found your blog and got it added to my reader. I don't know why it took me so long. You do such amazing work I look forward to following you this year!

Gabrielle said...

22 garments is not too shabby when a couple of them are as hugely time consuming as your trench coat and French jacket! I imagine self- drafting a skirt also take a bit of time...

I am completely with you on reflections 2 and 3 (I've also signed up to a lot that I didn't get to) and 4 (yes, a bit of sewing is very calming at the end of a busy work day).

I hope 2014 is a terrific year for you and look forward to reading about it this year.