Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Make A Garment a Month

You may have seen that I have in my side bar a badge for Make A Garment a Month challenge which SarahLizSewStyle is hosting to help keep us focused on sewing a little each day for ourselves.  There are a lot of wonderful fellow sewers joining up.

My garment for October will be this raglan t-shirt from BurdaStyle Magazine as I have a RTW coral one that I wore constantly last year as I really liked the style.

However, I also want October to be the month to completely finish a number of garments that I have  in various stages of completion:
  • Chanel style jacket, that I started back in March during a weekend workshop in Brisbane. It is up to binding the jacket with a special gros-grain ribbon that has a groove in the centre.  Once this is done the sleeves are set in and then the buttonholes (I think I will let Mick do these once I have purchased the buttons from All Buttons Great and Small).
  • Pencil skirt in the same fabric that has the darts sewn and ready for the invisible zip.
  • Denim style skirt in a forest green twill that only needs a buttonhole and jeans button which I have ordered from M.Recht to arrive.
 I wonder how much I will achieve?

Now it is confession time, look what has followed me home from my last two ASG meetings at The Remnant Warehouse, the girls there are so obliging in pointing out fabric they think you will enjoy.

Silk mix (more silk than anything) with every colour in it for a jacket
Very dark brown and cream stripe knit for Vogue 8904
Looks like I have got November's garment already lined up, but first I need to purchase the pattern whilst it is on special at Spotlight!

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

I like your plans :) That silk looks absolutely gorgeous

Judith said...

Two beautiful pieces of fabric - lucky you! Yes, Spotty has a good sale at the moment on patterns - I managed to pick up a few (a few too many that is) ... J

Christy said...

I love the look of that silk! If I wasn't on a self imposed fabric diet, I'd totally head to TRW and snap some up. I'm looking forward to seeing your French jacket - get sewing m'dear!

ista said...

I'm hoping to join in Frocktober ... so I'd better get my skates on!

Kelley said...

I love your plans...good luck in seeing them all come to fruition!

Gail said...

The silk mix is delicious!

Sarah Liz said...

I love the silk - that will go with everything. Good luck with your plans - always better to have ideas in the pipeline :)

Karen Pior said...

Inspired by you to join this 'Garment a Month' sewalong. Of course, it will be up to you to keep me on track - just like once upon a life time ago you used to feed me on Thursday night as I fell asleep on your lounge!! Xx Karen

Renata said...

I wish I had more opportunities to wear a jacket like that for all the work that goes into it. I do have V8804 and 7975 - just in case, and I will print out the sew-along instructions. Will eagerly await to see your creation. I agree, it will be hard/fun to pick the colour of the lining.

poppykettle said...

Can't wait to see how your jacket turns out! Great fabrics too :)