Sunday, May 19, 2013

Bronze Sequins!

This was one of the last garments I completed for SWAP and sorry it has taken a while to show you more details.

I used Kwik.Sew 3740 as this pattern is a great knit TNT for me.  I found the bronze sequins at Spotlight in July last year and just had to have it as I hadn't seen that colour before.

It wasn't until SWAP was announced that I realised this fabric would be perfect for a little evening top.

I checked my copy of  More Fabric Savvy by Sandra Betzina and it was suggested I use a Size 14 Jeans needle and a stitch length of 3 which worked out great even on the knit.  I cut the fabric out with my older Sierra Sharp scissors.  Now this fabric is very scratchy on the wrong side so I purchased some dark brown jersey lining from The Remnant Warehouse.

I stabilised the neckline and armholes on the jersey as I couldn't fuse on the sequins and then constructed the sequin top and jersey lining separately and joined them together at the neckline, understitching the neckline for added stability and of course to keep the lining on the inside.

For the armholes and hem I turned under a 1.5cm hem allowance and then used a herringbone stitch to attach the sequin hem and then a slip stitch to hand stitch the lining to the hem allowances, I didn't think I would be doing so much handstitching on a knit garment.



and here it is on

I am really happy how this top has turned out.

******************
Stash Out:  12.35m
Stash In:  0


7 comments:

Carol said...

This is lovely. I wanted bronze sequins for my SWAP which sadly wasn't finished. Now I have some semblance of my life back, I may actually finish it. The garments I made have been in heavy rotation, until I lost too much weight to wear them. I think a top like this will get a lot more wear than one would imagine!

Vicki said...

Cute top. I really like sequins and glad they are still around.

Therese said...

Very nice top Sharon!
I saw that you made a leather handbag and need some tips re sewing of leather. I just made a bag with a little leather embellishments and found it a pain. Bad stitching/transport of material etc
Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Therese

velosews said...

This is a gorgeous colour that compliments you really well.
In real life it is a perfect colour and perfect fit.

RhondaBuss said...

You should be happy with how the top turned out as it looks absolutely wonderful on you. What a great piece to have in your wardrobe.

BeaJay said...

That is one sexy top. I think it my favourite.

becki-c said...

Very pretty. I absolutely glows in the sunlight.
Is it comfortable to wear?