Saturday, September 15, 2012

Cardigan - BWOF 04-2010-117

This was supposed to a quick project and I have evidence of it its initial construction back in September 2011, not so quick!

My stumbling block came about when I tried to use my Coverstitch to stitch down the very thick seam allowance along the band edge due to the thicker cotton knit and interfacing I used, I ended up with a very thick seam here.  After spending quite a few hours trying to get the tension to work, it was then left for time out on my sewing table.

So the other weekend it was packed with this top and taken to my guild meeting.

When I was in the USA last year, I purchased a number of different sewing machine needles and I thought I would have a play with the Schmetz Drilling needle to see how it would work on this band.

I used two matching thread colours and a olive colour for the 3 threads and I am very happy with the way it has turned out.


I then used my Coverstitch with the triple needles to sew the hems.  Unfortunately the stitches disappeared into the fabric as it isn't interfaced, but you can still seem them just.

Last weekend was the first time I have been able to add the Snap Source Espresso size 16 Open Prong Ring Snap Fasteners.

For some reason I didn't do my usual adjustments to this pattern, and the only change I can see that I did do was to try and reduce the sleeve cap height.





This was a toile and after seeing these photos I can see I need to do more pattern adjustments e.g. reduce the shoulder length, do a better job of the sleeve cap height, add some width to the sleeves, they very snug with a long sleeve top underneath, and those pull lines?

I'm heading to the ASG Convention in Adelaide at the end of the month and have booked myself into the Fractured Knits Cardi workshop and I plan on using the Jalie 2566 cardigan, so it will be interesting to see the differences between the two cardigans.

I love cardigans but have found it difficult over the last few years to get them at the length and colour that I want them to be, so this is a pattern style that I really want to have as a TNT.

14 comments:

Alison said...

Great colour Sharon and I love the snaps. I think it's worthwhile to keep trying for a cardi TNT. It's a classic look and a staple in my wardrobe that's for sure.

Judith said...

What a lovely colour on you,Sharon! And you have ended up with a great wearable toile. You have to preserver with the adjustments as other than black or dead grey, we didn't have a range of colours this past winter in the shops. Enjoy ASG...

Carol said...

I haven't had much luck sewing cardigans and I really need to do this. I love the colour of yours and I really like the stitching idea; it looks great.

Janine said...

I love the colour of your cardigan. I find cardigans are so more comfortable than jackets and can be just as appropriate for work . It was well worth the wait.

Mary said...

I love this cardi on you-what a great color with your brunette hair. Thanks for the tip on the drilling needles-I had not heard of them before.

gwensews said...

That's a wonderful cardi, and something that can be worn al seasons, except perhaps summer.

BeaJay said...

What a clean neat professional finish you have achieved - lovely cardigan which surely should be elevated from toile status. Great job.

velosews said...

This looks like it's about to be a TNT cardi. The snaps are great and it definitely has a place in your co-ordinated wardrobe.

RhondaBuss said...

The adjustments that you want to make are really minor. A great piece to make again and again.

elleR said...

Those pull lines seem to point to your shoulder blades - didn't you have to do a rounded back adjustment at one point? All up tho' a great little TNT for the wardrobe, and well worth any extra effort to perfect!

Gail said...

I like your cardigan a lot, particularly the top stitching and the colour is perfect for you.

Carolyn said...

I think you've hit the jackpot with the colour on this one; really gorgeous on you, and looks terrific with your colouring. Your stitching is impeccable :)

Cherrypix said...

The details on your cardi are really great...love the different coloured top stitching.

Diana said...

I think it looks very professional on you and I too love the colour.