Sunday, August 19, 2012

More Spice of Life

Over at PatternReview they have just held a 2 week contest challenge to make a handbag between 1 and 15 August.

Now when I showed Mum my version of this bag, I had a request for a black and white one for Christmas, but seeing it is Mum's birthday this month the opportunity to make her bag earlier was perfect timing.

Thankfully I had been on the lookout for black and white fabric ever since Mum had said she would like this bag and had purchased 2 fat quarters at the Craft and Quilt Fair at Darling Harbour in June.  I already had the Ghee's Tubular Frame from a joint order that I placed with Maria.

My main challenge was then to source some black fabric for the contrast for the bag and then remembered I had some black denim left over from the jeans I made.

This bag uses Matilda's Own Bag Batting which makes the bag quite stable by itself, however one of the requirements of the competition was that interfacing had to be used.

So I fused interfacing to the Sun Silky that I wanted to use for the lining to make it more durable,


As you can see I don't like a dark interior in bags, you just can't find anything.

This bag pattern goes together really well and surprisingly quickly.

I did use a Jeans 110 needle for all the denim sewing and it all went very smoothly as when you sew on the tubes for the frame you are sewing through some very thick layers.

This is the finished bag,


The zippered pocket with my label on it,


and for the other pocket I divided this for Mum's phone and a space for her to carry a  pen.


The bag was wrapped and posted to Mum last Wednesday and I was very surprised when I got a phone call on Thursday night from a very excited Mum to say that my parcel had arrived and she was absolutely thrilled with her bag.

I have entered this bag in the PatternReview challenge and my review is here for those interested.


16 comments:

Judith said...

Stunning! When are you taking orders from the rest of us?????

BeaJay said...

Love the bag - great placement of the flower. Very nicely finished.

velosews said...

You made a gorgeous bag Sharon. No wonder your mum called you so fast!

shams said...

Omigosh, that is so cute!!

Sue said...

Lucky Mum!

Dilliander said...

Its fabulous Sharon, beautifully made and made with love :)

Maria (viola33) said...

What a wonderful bag!

gwensews said...

That's a lovely bag, inside and out. Your mother must be thrilled!

RhondaBuss said...

Of course she's excited, the bag is fantastic! What a lovely gift.

Mary said...

I love your bag, and especially because it was for your mom. :-)

a little sewing said...

just gorgeous, I bet your mum will enjoy it!

Gail said...

Great bag Sharon. Your mum will get great value from it.

Alison said...

Just perfect! I knew your mum would love it. If she hadn't, I would've taken it off your hands. ;)

Robyn said...

It looks fantastic - great fabric choices.

Diana said...

Your bag is beautiful and so professional looking! Bet you win the contest.

Carolyn said...

Gorgeous! I'm not surprised your Mum was thrilled to receive it!