Sunday, May 15, 2011

Skirts

Even though I said here that I have plenty of skirts, the following two skirts have been sitting around for a while so I thought I would finish them as they will be great additions to my winter wardrobe.

The first skirt is a self drafted skirt from when I attended the Australian Sewing Guilds Convention in Sydney in 2007. I did a class for skirt drafting with Ronda Braybrook. Our first objective was to have a straight skirt pattern ready to use, and I have since used this pattern to make the brown linen and the brown/cream/red linen skirts here.

Ronda then challenged us to draft a different pattern from our block, and I will admit right now that that is a huge stumbling block for me and this is what I came up with, a wide yoke with a half circle skirt attached.



The skirt is fully lined again with an A-line skirt pattern. Isabel and her predecessor have been wearing this skirt for the past 4 years while I got around to hemming it.

Here is a side view which show the fullness of the skirt.



Now the 2nd skirt hasn't been hanging around as long and was supposed to be part of my wardrobe for the trip to the US. In fact it did travel with me the whole trip waiting for me to do some hand sewing on the side seams and add the buttons to the yoke which I purchased at M&L Fabrics on our 2nd last day, aren't they cute.


Needless to say, it came home in the same state as it was packed.

This is another version of BWOF 04-2009-101 and really there are no changes from the original skirt. It will be a great base for my casual wardrobe and already goes with so many of my tops.



Aren't pictures wonderful, I couldn't see how the skirt was clinging to my tights in the mirror and seeing that the cord is a lot lighter in weight than the previous version, I'm thinking seriously of adding a lining to this skirt.



Now to focus on some tops.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon
Both skirts look great. I like them with your boots and think that they will be a real bonus in the made by me month of June. The buttons are lovely and will be a great reminder of your trip.
Cheers Lee-Anne

Sew-4-Fun said...

Nice skirts, Sharon! I'm a huge fan of that Burda skirt pattern. I made my 2nd version last week, although I did line mine. I find with tights and boots I need all my winter skirts to be lined. It's not so easy with this pattern but I found a way. :)

Dilliander said...

These look great Sharon! Well done with the drafting.

Gay McDonell said...

Great skirts - you suit them best with the tops tucked in - great buttons!

Faye Lewis said...

I love your skirts and the boots too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon. You have mastered the Burda skirt. The A-line is nice too.

gwensews said...

Those are lovely--both skirts. Nice sewing!

kbenco said...

Personally I don't think it is possible to have too many skirts. Mine always wear out!
I really like both of them.
I have made 4 of the 4-2009 skirt, and lined the last two - I just used the pattern pieces for the back, sides and lower front, and hand sewed the lower front lining to the front panel facing, no trickiness :).

Diana said...

Sharon,both skirts are lovely and I particularly like the second one .I love the wide waistband.You look so good in both with the tops you chose for them!

velosews said...

Both skirts are great. I can't tell if there's any tightness. I do line my cord skirts as a rule, but I use contrasting lining, in case they peek through. I love your boots too.